WELCOME TO THE DEPARTMENT OF NEVADA HOME PAGE
Since our charter, our American Legion Department of Nevada has been welcoming VETERANS from all branches of our Armed Forces. Today, we continue to welcome all military personnel serving our country. Joining a Post in our state enables you to continue serving your God, Country and Community. Our mission is to implement the goals, aspirations, dreams, peace and blessings for our country, friends and families embodied in our preamble.
To Visit the Western Region Web Site Click here
What The American Legion Does:
- Processes more than 600 disability claims appeals per month for veterans trying to get their VA medical benefits.
- Gives emergency financial assistance to Legion Families hit by Hurricanes, floods, tornadoes and other disasters.
- Urges Congress to provide enough VA funding to take care of veterans' medical needs - and provide it in advance.
- Awards college scholarships to children whose mothers or fathers have sacrificed their lives in the global war on terrorism.
- Volunteers about one million hours every year at about 160 VA Medical Facilities nationwide.
- Helps familes of deployed troops through the Family Support Network and Operation Military Family Outreach.
- Through its Temporary Financial Assistance program, helps the children of veterans who are suffering hardships.
- Donates about 100,000 pints of blood annually to the American Red Cross.
- Lobbies Congress to upgrade and improve Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefits (Legion wrote the original 1944 GI Bill that educated 8 million veterans).
- Through its Heroes To Hometowns program works with communities to welcome back their returning veterans and help them make the transition to civilian life.
- Sponsors more than 5,000 American Legion Baseball Teams, which are made up by more than 100,000 ballplayers.
- Raises funds to improve quality of life for active duty troops with the Wounded Warrior Recognition Program and Operation Comfort Warriors.
- Offers community programs that encourage the intellectual and social growth of America's children (Boys State, National Oratorical Competition, Boy Scouts).
In a Nutshell: If you're a Veteran, The American Legion will help you. It will help you with VA health care, GI Bill benefits, sudden emergencies and the needs of your children. And The American Legion does it all for free, because we have an army of volunteers - each one a wartime veteran. So we understand. That's why we're here now - helping veterans, servicemembers and their families.
To find out much more about what The American Legion does, please visit www.legion.org
To the wonderful patriotic citizens of Nevada Thank You. Join in the support of a Post as a Booster or sponsor. 100% of the monies raised are given back to the community. Help us to continue sponsoring Scholarships for our children; give aid and assistance to our local needy Veterans and their families. Help us to continue to support financially worthy community programs and projects.