WELCOME TO THE DEPARTMENT OF NEVADA HOME PAGE
Since our charter, our American Legion Department of Nevada has been welcoming VETERANS from all branches of our Armed Forces. Today, we continue to welcome all military personnel serving our country. Joining a Post in our state enables you to continue serving your God, Country and Community. Our mission is to implement the goals, aspirations, dreams, peace and blessings for our country, friends and families embodied in our preamble.
Dan Dellinger of Vienna, Va., was elected national commander of the 2.4 million-member American Legion on Aug. 29, 2013 in Houston, during the 95th national convention of the nation’s largest veterans organization.
He became an Army Infantry officer after graduating with a degree in criminology from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He served at Fort Benning, Ga., during the Vietnam War and entered the U.S. Army Reserve in 1972, separating from the service in 1984 at the rank of captain.
A member of the Dyer-Gunnell American Legion Post 180 in Vienna since 1982, he was made a life member in 1990. He has served as post, district and department commander and chaired numerous committees. At the national level, he chaired the Legislative, National Security, and Economics commissions as well as the Aerospace Committee. He served as chairman of the Legislative Council and Membership and Post Activities Committee. He has been a member of the Foreign Relations Council, Policy Coordination, Veterans Planning and Coordinating committees as well as the Legislative Council.
Dellinger is a member of the Sons of the American Legion, Past Commanders and Adjutants Club, Past Department Commander’s Club, ANAVICUS and the Citizens Flag Alliance. He has served as a presidential appointee on the Federal Taskforce on SBA Hiring and as vice mayor of the Town of Vienna, Virginia as well as serving three terms as town councilman. He is a member of the Loyal Order of the Moose and the Loyal Order of the Kentucky Colonels.
He owned and operated a construction management and general contracting firm for twenty years specializing in commercial, institutional and industrial construction.
Dellinger and his wife, Margaret, reside in Vienna. Margaret served as American Legion Auxiliary Unit 180 President for four years; daughter, Anne, is a 23-year member of Unit 180; and son, Scott, is a 28-year member of Sons of The American Legion Squadron 180.
Cmdr. Dellinger’s theme is "Building for Tomorrow – Today."
To Visit the Western Region Web Site Click here
What The American Legion Does:
To find out much more about what The American Legion does, please visit www.legion.org
- Processes more than 600 disability claims appeals per month for veterans trying to get their VA medical benefits.
- Gives emergency financial assistance to Legion Families hit by Hurricanes, floods, tornadoes and other disasters.
- Urges Congress to provide enough VA funding to take care of veterans' medical needs - and provide it in advance.
- Awards college scholarships to children whose mothers or fathers have sacrificed their lives in the global war on terrorism.
- Volunteers about one million hours every year at about 160 VA Medical Facilities nationwide.
- Helps familes of deployed troops through the Family Support Network and Operation Military Family Outreach.
- Through its Temporary Financial Assistance program, helps the children of veterans who are suffering hardships.
- Donates about 100,000 pints of blood annually to the American Red Cross.
- Lobbies Congress to upgrade and improve Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefits (Legion wrote the original 1944 GI Bill that educated 8 million veterans).
- Through its Heroes To Hometowns program works with communities to welcome back their returning veterans and help them make the transition to civilian life.
- Sponsors more than 5,000 American Legion Baseball Teams, which are made up by more than 100,000 ballplayers.
- Raises funds to improve quality of life for active duty troops with the Wounded Warrior Recognition Program and Operation Comfort Warriors.
- Offers community programs that encourage the intellectual and social growth of America's children (Boys State, National Oratorical Competition, Boy Scouts).
To the wonderful patriotic citizens of Nevada Thank You. Join in the support of a Post as a Booster or sponsor. 100% of the monies raised are given back to the community. Help us to continue sponsoring Scholarships for our children; give aid and assistance to our local needy Veterans and their families. Help us to continue to support financially worthy community programs and projects.